Monday, September 8, 2008

Partly body, mostly soul

From the cradle to the grave
Every day and every trial
I'll exist within my body
It has been with me a while

The bones within me know no purpose
But to steady this mere frame
And my blood, it swims right through me
But it doesn't know my name

My teeth don't really feed me
Though they take what they can find
And if my eyes could see no longer
Well, I doubt they'd even mind

My lips will work together
In order that you hear
All the thoughts I have within me
That they don't know I hold dear

These other vessels for conversing
Will let me hear when there is rain
And they will let in many words
But they will never feel their pain

My fingers do as I command them
So as to grasp the world at hand
And my legs don't choose my goings,
They just run, walk, kick, and stand

Yes, my skin is back to dust
After it plays its earthly role
So I praise the God who made me
Partly body, mostly soul

No comments: